Friday, June 22, 2012

Rest in peace my dear friend Steven (9/1961-6/2012)

This morning we got the sad news that a dear friend has lost his 8 month battle against pancreatic cancer. We have know for the last few days it was only a matter of time and the Cancer Institute of America in Tulsa were keeping him pain free, and at peace until the end came. It came at 9:02 am. (Tulsa time) with his dear Jenny by his side as she had been from the start.

I should explain, Jenny was not his wife, nor his romantic love interest, she was not related by blood by they were tied by a friendship most of us will never have the joy of experiencing. He cared for Jenny, provided for, and protected Jenny through anything. He was her rock, and in the end she was his.

Jenny is a kind and sweet soul, but naive in many areas, and it was Steven who always made she was alright. If she wanted something, he found a way to get it, if she needed something, he provide it. If she had a dream he made sure she could chase it.

Several years ago, she decided she wanted to be a concert photographer, and decided the only way to do that would be to move to Nashville. Steven packed up, transferred his job, took out a loan and together they moved from California to Nashville, and for the last several years he provided while she chased her dream.

Over the years, I came to view Jenny and Steven as a unit. You never got one without the other. And to me they were more than just friends, but also a part of our family. Due to distance and my foolish belief they would always be there, I did not stay I touch as often as I should have, did not tell Steven how much I cared, or how amazing he was as a human being, not only to Jenny but the world.

He had the rare ability to always make me laugh, and to offer a shoulder and a place to escape 5 years ago when I had to travel back home due to my mother’s health, and was there for 3 months. Each time it got to much for me, I jumped in my care and made the 4 hour drive to Nashville and would hole up with them until I felt rejuvenated and could go back to Indiana and face the mother issue.

He was a big strong teddy bear with a heart of gold. And now that heart has stopped beating. I hope he knows how much I cared and how deeply he will be missed. The world became a little darker today, when the news of his passing came.

As mourn Steven, I cry not only for the loss of his life, but for "his Jenny". I know she will make it through this, but I do worry about her, and she is hundreds of miles away. We have offered her a place if it is needed, or if she just needs somewhere for a few days to mourn and heal.

She has always referred to Steven as her angel, and I agree with her, he has been, thus, she has not lost her angel, he is now watching out for her from above, and he will live forever in our hearts.

Rest easy, my dear friend, you were taken much too soon from this world, but you are now in a better place without pain, and cancer free, with the angel wings we always knew you deserved.

This is how I choose to remember Steven,

and this is what cancer did to him in just 8 months

2 comments:

  1. How sad for you, Jenny and probably more people than you know.
    Sometimes I tell myself that there are people too good for this world...that God needs them in heaven...honestly, I don't know. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with this pancreatic cancer that is so deadly, so fast. I feel so bad for you. I had a friend die of the same thing some years ago. He was from France and I thought maybe he'd like some books in French, so went to another friend's house and asked her if she wanted to get rid of any of her books in that language. She said sure and I brought him a whole box. I can make out French somewhat, but did not preview them. He looked at the books and said, now why would you bring me books like this when I'm so ill I can't do any of these things anymore. I looked at him blankly for a couple of minutes while the horror dawned on me what I'd done. I then started screaming with laughter, crying with laughter, and he joined in. His last real belly laugh with gusto!!! I'm so sorry you all lost such a good man. There are very few people like that around. RIP Steven.

    ReplyDelete